Boat Patrol Unit

The Noblesville Police Department not only has a responsibility to law enforcement issues on land but on the water as well. Along with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR), the Noblesville Police Department patrols the waters of Morse Reservoir.
 
NPD Boat Patrol
NPD Boat Patrol.1
The waters of Morse Reservoir provide an excellent opportunity for the public to enjoy such activities as fishing, boating, skiing, swimming, scuba diving, and jet skiing to name a few. The Noblesville Police Department wants to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy themselves and to be safe while doing so. The Boat Patrol Unit does its part to provide this service by patrolling the reservoir during the spring, summer and fall months. Officers assigned to the Boat Patrol Unit do so as an additional assignment to their regular duties as patrol officers, detectives, supervisors and administrators. 
 
The Boat Patrol Unit focuses their attention on making sure that laws that are specifically designated to our waterways are adhered to. This includes laws such as licensing and registration, reckless operation, alcohol related offenses, floatation device requirements and lighting requirements. The Boat Patrol Unit also provides assistance to stranded boaters and boater education information. 
 
The Boat Patrol Unit also serves to support the Noblesville Police Department's Dive Unit. The Dive Unit (see also under Specialized Units) is a valuable part of the Police Department's role in answering emergencies on Morse Reservoir. The Boat Patrol Unit and the Dive Unit, along with the Noblesville Fire Department, work hand-in-hand to make sure that our resources are being maximized to their potential during these types of incidents.  
 
 
Morse Reservoir
Morse Reservoir History
 
From a 1921 study that calculated the water needs of the City of Indianapolis for the ensuing 25 to 30 years, the Indianapolis Water Company (IWC) designed and built Geist (Fishers, IN) and Morse Reservoirs. This study and the utilities management recognized the fact that Indianapolis is located in a challenging place from the standpoint of an abundant natural water supply. Indianapolis is the largest city in America not located on a large river, lake or near mountain streams, and the City and its growth were completely dependent upon stored water capabilities.
 
In January of 1949, IWC began acquiring land for Morse Reservoir. Morse Reservoir, fed by Cicero and Hinkle Creeks, was completed and filled on February 25, 1956. Morse has a surface area of 1,500 acres, thirty-two (32) miles of shoreline, stretching 7.5 miles, with a capacity of 6.9 million gallons of water.
 
Morse Reservoir was named after Howard S. Morse, a former President and Chairman of the Indianapolis Water Company and one of the Company's most distinguished visionaries. Mr. Morse was instrumental in the design, construction and operation of both Geist and Morse Reservoirs and their respective dams.
 
Morse Reservoir was originally intended strictly for water supply purposes for the City of Indianapolis. Its use and that of the surrounding land has been modified over the years to allow for recreational activities and residential development. To this day, the Indianapolis Water Company still owns the reservoir.
 
Information provided by the Indianapolis Water Company.