Historic Timeline of Former Noblesville Mayors

 

Mayor John Ditslear

John Ditslear

2004 - Present

A veteran of the U.S. Navy, Ditslear moved to Noblesville in 1966 and was an active civic and community leader before becoming mayor. Ditslear led the addition of several quality of life initiatives within the city, including Hamilton Town Center and the conservation of green space. The city expanded its trails system and added Dr. James A. Dillon Park, Federal Hill Commons, and purchased 200 acres for Finch Creek Park. Ditslear oversaw the improvement and expansion of roadways throughout the city, including the introduction of roundabout intersections and the construction of 146th Street across Noblesville. Additionally, Ditslear improved the ability for residents to volunteer and has increased community engagement.

Dennis R. Redick

1996 - 2003

Mayor Redick revived the Fourth of July Fireworks Festival. He served on the executive committee of the Indiana Association of Cities and Towns. Redick also created a corporate campus for 146th Street on the city's southeast side. He supported additional facilities, equipment, and salaries for public safety.

Dennis Reddick
Mary Sue Rowland

Mary Sue Rowland

1988 - 1995

Mayor Rowland improved the city park facilities and implemented a new sewage treatment plant. She created the Arts Commission and Shakespeare in the Park. Rowland was responsible for the Logan Street extension from Ind. 19 to River Avenue and restored the former post office into the new Public Safety Building. Rowland developed a plan to help the Old Southside Neighborhood recover after flooding and had a fire station built at Herriman Boulevard and Greenfield Avenue. She also led the restoration of downtown and created a community Thanksgiving dinner. Rowland was given a Sagamore of the Wabash by Gov. Evan Bayh.

Patricia Logan

1980 - 1987

Mayor Logan was Noblesville's first female mayor and was in charge of building Logan Street Bridge. She was responsible for turning the Carnegie Library into City Hall. Logan also developed a planned growth mode. She was in charge of creating Seminary Park and greatly extended Noblesville boundaries. 

Pat Logan
Robert Wical

Robert V. Wical

1976 - 1979

Wical was the second Democratic mayor of Noblesville. He instituted the police department's take-home car program and expanded city services. Wical was the first full-time mayor. Additionally, he approved the fire station at South Harbor. 

Max Robinson

1972 - 1975

Mayor Robinson updated the city sewer system and was a leader in the construction of an interceptor around the city that allowed more homes to be served by the system. He annexed the Firestone Industrial Products property into the city. Robinson also started development of the city west of Riverview Hospital.

Max Robinson
Joe Butler

Joe Butler

1964 - 1971

Mayor Butler annexed the property known as the Harbours. He expanded Forest Park and Fox Prairie Golf Course and oversaw the annexation of Shorewood Co-op's Morse Lake Property. Butler established the Summer Recreation Program for Community Children. He also expanded the city sewage lines and treatment. Additionally, Butler was a WWII Army veteran.

Dale Hanshew

1960 - 1963

Mayor Hanshew was a business owner and a lifelong Republican. He passed away in office at the age of 62.

 
John Neal

John R. Neal

1958 - 1959; 1963

Mayor Neal was a former publisher of the Noblesville Ledger and a Korean War veteran. He also was the president of the Chamber of Commerce. He launched Noblesville Cablevision and initiated a comprehensive annexation plan. Neal served on the park board for 16 years. He served as mayor twice, but was never elected.

Gordon Olvey

1958

Mayor Olvey was only able to serve between March 30 and May 1 due to the death of Mayor Lawson.

Gordon Olvey
Herman Lawson

Herman Lawson

1952 - 1958

Mayor Lawson served as police chief in 1931 and fire chief from 1935 to 1947. While mayor, he erected a new city building and opened a co-city dog pound. He also opened a recreational area in the southern part of the city and placed a sewage treatment plant on sound financial ground. Lawson developed efficient fire and police departments and added additional sewers for residents. Unfortunately, Lawson died while in office. 

Emmett R. Fertig

1939 - 1951

Mayor Fertig attended Indiana University and studied law at Leland Stanford Junior University. He served as mayor for 13 years. Fertig played a leading role in the installation of the city sewage treatment plant.

 
 William E. Gifford

William E. Gifford

1930 - 1934

Mayor Gifford worked for Eli Lilly and Co. for 16 years. He moved to Noblesville in 1921. Gifford owned and operated a drug store and was a member and president of the Noblesville City School Board. He was associated with the Browser Truck Line and was a member of the Masonic Lodge. 

J. X. Joseph

1926 - 1929

Mayor Joseph was a native of Noblesville. He directed construction of the Noblesville armory. Joseph was a trustee for the Noblesville Aerie No. 450, Order of Eagles. He was active in the Christian Church and was a deacon for half a century.

 
 

H. G. "Pop" Brown

1922 - 1925; 1935 - 1938

Mayor Brown moved to Noblesville in 1910. He was mayor for two non-consecutive terms. During his first term, he was a major leader in the centennial celebration in 1923. Brown sold his land to the city for the creation of Forest Park in Noblesville. He took strong measures during his terms to destroy mosquitoes in water and stagnant pools. Brown also established the Fourth of July celebration.

D. B. "Jack" McCoun

1918 - 1921

Mayor McCoun moved to Noblesville in 1909 and took over the Punnell-Dulin Lumber Co. He then owned and organized the McCoun Construction Co. While mayor, he made great efforts to improve sewage treatment, restraining orders language, and claims and street repair issues.

 
 

Dr. E. C. Loehr

1910 - 1917

Before Dr. E. C. Loehr was mayor, he was referred to as one of the best physicians in the country. He attended Indiana University for his undergraduate degree. As mayor, he was responsible for implementing a better system for the Noblesville Police Department. He also led the purchase of Carnegie Library. Loehr was a member of the Masonic Lodge and identified with the Knights of Pythias.

John L. Dulin

1905 - 1906

Dulin was the first Democratic mayor of Noblesville. He was responsible for the erection of electric wires and poles within the city. He took a lead in curtailing the water pollution in the area. Dulin also was secretary of Capital Furniture Manufacturing Co.

 
 

George Snyder

1903 - 1904

Before moving to Noblesville, Mayor Snyder lived in Union City. He was vice president of the First National Bank of Noblesville. He passed away in 1927 at the age of 63.

Albert R. Baker

1900 - 1902

Mayor Baker was the Hamilton County treasurer from 1890 to 1892. He had a leading role in the establishment of the tracks and regular lines through Noblesville from the Union Railroad. After serving as mayor, Baker returned to the livery and feed stables business. He also was on the committee on resolutions in the Noblesville Rod and Gun Club.

 
 

James W. Smith

1891 - 1894

Mayor Smith bricked the city streets around the downtown square during his first term. He also established the first municipal water works system. The first county hospital was build on North Ninth Street during his second term. Smith also served for nine years on the school board, organized the American National Bank of Noblesville, and was a member of both Noblesville Masonic Lodges. 

John F. Neal

1889 - 1890

Mayor John F. Neal wrote ordinances regulating the gas, water, and electric light franchises. He was the first mayor to successfully appoint all county council and township advisory board member positions. Neal installed the water works system and laid the first street pavement. He also served Noblesville as the city attorney, judge of the circuit court, and president of the Hamilton County Bar Association. 

 
 

Edgar C. Wilson

1887 - 1889; 1895 - 1899; 1907 - 1909

Mayor Wilson was responsible for the early beautification of downtown Noblesville and its surrounding neighborhoods. He oversaw the installation of street lamps and posts, brick pavements, shade trees around the downtown area, and asphalt-paved alleys. Wilson passed an ordinance that natural gas could not be pumped through streets and alleys except for citizens' use. He passed another ordinance that stated houses must be built of brick, stone, and other noncombustible material. Wilson prescribed the creation of a city seal and helped build a new school house. He was an attorney by trade. 

David Moss

1851

Mayor Moss briefly served in a mayoral role when Noblesville was incorporated as a town in 1851. Moss was previously involved with Strawtown. He later was a prosecuting attorney, circuit judge, county agent and seminary trustee.

 

Contact Us

City Hall (more)
16 S 10th St
Noblesville, IN 46060

  • Business: (317) 776-6324
  • Business Fax: (317) 776-6363
  • Staff Directory
  • Office Hours:
    Monday - Friday
    8:00 am - 4:30 pm

In this Department